First CM who gave maximum focus to Gulbarga
Mr B S Yeddyurappa will go down in the history as the lone chief minister for giving maximum importance to Gulbarga during his three-year tenure as the maiden head of Bharatiya Janata Party dispensation. Though the district in the past had sent late Veerendra Patil and Mr DharamSingh to the third floor of Vidhana Soudha, none of them was able to bring Gulbarga under the kind of glittering glare that Mr Yeddyurappa brought about.
Mr. Yeddyurappa also holds the record for visiting Gulbarga district more than 40 times as the Chief Minister to participate in different programmes, besides visits during the election campaign for the Lok Sabha elections and the byelections to Chitapur and Gulbarga South Assembly constituencies.
Incidentally, no other Chief Minister, including Dharam Singh who hails from Gulbarga district, has visited Gulbarga so frequently.
The people of Gulbarga would also remember Mr. Yeddyurappa for the decision to release Rs. 100 crore for taking up development works in city corporation limits in the tier-II cities. Gulbarga had received the first instalment of Rs. 100 crore and the second instalment of Rs. 100 crore will be released soon.
Mr. Yeddyurappa had also set a precedent by participating in the Hyderabad Karnataka Liberation Day celebrations, held every year on September 17, for two successive years and hoisting the national flag.
- In his tenure Mr Yeddyurappa held Cabinet meetings in Gulbarga every year.
- He laid foundation stone for Gulbarga airport works.
- He carved out a new district with Yadgir as headquarters.
- Central University of Karnataka was established as his remained in favour of Gulbarga.
- He liberally gave away 50 acres of land of Jnana Ganga campus to ESIC for Medical Education Complex.
- The State also sanctioned 20 acres of land to Mr Kharge’s ministry for skill development centre in Gulbarga.
Its just informative post! not any political view :P